Me and my support team my hubby Brett

Me and my support team my hubby Brett
Belinda and Brett

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The first steps to 5th June 2011

Once you have set a goal you need to map out how are you going to get there. Part of that process also is writing down the goal and acknowledging it. I have spent the last few days sharing with family and friends my decsion to enter Challange Cairns.  Most responses to date have been positive. Although my Mum did say don't hurt yourself!! My sister Megan is getting married the weekend after Cairns and Mum is worried as I am the only bridemaid.  My very thoughtful husband kindly offered to wheel me up the aisle if I am still unable to walk!!

I want to start by taking a step back and by thinking about the journey to registering for my first Ironman triathlon.

I started my dabble into the sport of triathlon just over 2 years ago, after I had spent many a weekend watching my husband Brett compete in triathlons.  I was always terrified at the thought of joining a squad, but lacked the confidence to train and race on my own.   My husband encouraged me to signed up with Brisbane Triathlon Squad (http://www.brisbanetrisquad.com.au/) to complete a 8 week beginners course followed by a graduation race being a sprint distance 750m/20km/5km race at Raby Bay. Needless to say I didn't exactly set a cracking pace for my first race but managed to finish!! In any case I have persevered and finished my 2nd Olympic distance triathlon at Noosa earlier this year. My improvements have been good and I managed to take 20 minutes off my time from  Noosa in 2009. 

I have also managed to meet a great bunch of people with a similar addiction for competing in triathlons.  A number of them are also doing there first Ironman races in 2011.

After watching my husband complete his first Ironman earlier this year at Port Macquarie I was inspired to give a longer distance a go so my sister Megan and I signed up for the Port Macquarie Half Ironman to be held on 1 May 2011.

Not being content with a Half Ironman, I have gone one step further and now registered for the full Ironman distance. Whilst much of the decision to enter the Ironman distance race in June 2011 has been part of my own personal journey I need to mention that source of my inspiration has been father's diagnosis with Parkinson's Disease earlier this year.

My dad Dallas has lead an active life spending the better part of 70 years on a farm. Earlier this year he started to have trouble walking and his speech began to deteriorate.  Parkinson's is an extremely frustrating disease with medication not always assisting in minimising the symptoms.  Dad unfortunately has a type a Parkinson's that is not responding to medication. A cure has not been found for the disease and the medical profession are also not certain of its causes.  During my ironman journey my father will be a constant thought in my mind and I will also be fundraising for Parkinson's Queensland  http://parkinsons-qld.org.au/ who have provided much needed support and information to my family to help us assist Dad with his disease.

1 comment:

  1. Belinda your an inspiration no doubt about it your determination and awesome attitude will get u through, just make sure your husband pampers you all the way through the training for the full, you will do the half easy :) good luck miss see u there :)

    ReplyDelete