Me and my support team my hubby Brett

Me and my support team my hubby Brett
Belinda and Brett

Monday, May 2, 2011

Week 6- Port Macquarie 70.3

I had an easy week leading up to my  first half ironman race at Port Macquarie.  In typical recovery week style I felt lethargic and like a blob every time I eat something. Every little niggle feels like a major issue.

I had a couple of 1.5h bikes early in the week before heading to Port on Thursday. I couldn't believe how much spare time on had on my hands this week and don't know how I will fill my days once the Ironman training stops. It was great to catch up with all the BTS crew and support the guys and girls doing Ironman.  We had a great dinner on Thursday night everyone was looking calm and relaxed.

The squad did a 30 minute swim on Friday morning over the course. It was nice to get out and do something and try out the wet suit.

On Saturday morning we did 15 minutes each of swim, bike run.  After a few coffees with friends it was finally time to rack the bikes. I think this was the moment the nerves set in for the first time. I had a period of about 3 hours where I didn't feel like eating. ( that is not normal for me) I just wanted to get in and race.

Race day finally arrived. We were up to see the ironman start. It always brings a tear to my eye watching the ironman start and the range of emotions you see people go through.  All the BTS's were out of the water and it was time to get ready for our race start at 9:30.When I was in transition Craig Alexander was helping the lady 2 bikes up set up her kit.  I was listening into his tips!! There was something very calming about listening to his voice, reel off some points to the lady. If I wasn't so pushed for time in transition I would have asked for a photo.

Finally it was time to get in the water. I was nervous it was my first mass start. I picked a slot about 5 rows back from the front. My goggles were filling with water but it too late now to do anything about it. Finally the musket went and we were off. After a mass of white water we were swimming and I got into a nice rhythm early on. The tow of the group was awesome I found a few feet and hips to swim off. The sun was right in my eyes on the way out so I couldn't see much. I managed to get tangled in the buoy ropes at the turn around point however I kept my cool in the swim. I was up and standing in 35 minutes I was very happy with my swim.

I found my bike, shoved in a Vegemite sandwich and then was off. I had my shoes already on my bike however was a bit all over the shop putting my feet it!! Despite doing it numerous times before.

Early on I realised the bike was going to be tough we had a brutal head wind bearing down on us all along the coast line. The first 10 kms or so out of town there a few hills and it was rough. My husband Brett caught up to me on the bike just as I was heading down Matthew Flinders Drive. It is a steep and winding street. I was like a granny on my brakes going down the hill. Next thing I heard him yelling at me look ahead where you want to go!!.  I was running my new Zipp 404 race wheels, a couple of times coming down the hills the side wind caught my bike and blew me all over the place, I was hanging on nervously. It was a bit soul destroying looking down seeing my average speed sitting at 20kms/hour.  I managed to stay down in my tri bars for most of the time and finally we were at the turnaround point. At last the wind was at my back and on the straight sections I was rolling along at 36kms/hour without to many dramas. About 5 kms out of town there was just one more challenging section on the bike course left. Matthew Flinders Drive a nasty hill. The hill was lined with supporters and few people choose the safe option of unclipping and walking up. I knew that was never an option for me after all coach Mark has had me on the Mt Cootha so I was ready to ride up this on tired legs. I finished the bike feeling good and no real aches. Bike time 3hrs11. All those hours on the bike are paying off.

Finally I was back in transition and putting on my runners. I shovelled a killer python in my mouth whilst I was putting my shoes on. This is where the stomach issues began. Almost immediately I had a stitch up under my ribs. I pushed through the first 5 kms of the run averaging about 5.40/km pace. In hindsight I probably went out a bit hard. Things got worse my whole stomach was cramping and I took my gels in but I just couldn't get rid of the stomach cramps. At one stage I felt like someone had punched me in the kidneys. I made the decision I was going to push through and was only going to walk through the aid stations. It was great seeing all the IM guys out on course and they all gave me inspiration during my run to push through. In total my run took 2hrs 24mins. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping for closer to 2 hours because I had run the Gold Coast half in 1hr 56mins last year. However this was my first half and it was good chance to test my nutrition before the full at Cairns. I finished in 6hrs17 not quite the 6 hours I was hoping for but it was a tough bike and the run didn't go to plan but that is racing and to finish a half ironman is an achievement in itself. The half ironman needs to be given the respect it deserves it is not a walk in the park and is really quite different to Olympic distance racing.

I now have a couple of days off before the final push to Cairns!!

Me proudly displaying my finishers medal!!
 

1 comment: