Me and my support team my hubby Brett

Me and my support team my hubby Brett
Belinda and Brett

Sunday, February 13, 2011

17 weeks- BTS Camp and more swimming

The weeks are flying by.  I have just finished my last week of swim focus.  At first I was not over joyed at the thought of swimming 6 times a week but I have actually enjoyed it.

I swam 3.5km on Monday night with Brett's squad Red Dog and then another 3.4km on Tuesday night.  A good start to the week.  I swam an easy 2kms on Wednesday night ( I was feeling a bit tired after the bike on Wednesday morning).

Queensland finally turned on some beautiful summer weather for our squad training camp at Mooloolaba over the weekend.  I awoke at 4:30am on Saturday morning and cycled along the coast line from Maroochydore to Alex Headlands. What a lovely start to the day, I couldn't help but think how lucky I was to have the opportunity to enjoy such a day. I then met the group for a transitions session at Mooloolaba.  Of course coffee was a must after our training session.

I love the social side of triathlon and the great people I have meet along the way. Everybody has different motivations, journeys and goals but is so great to spend a weekend in the fresh air with a awesome bunch of people.

At lunch time we has a short swim session. My 6 times a week swimming was starting to pay off as I felt strong as we did short sprint efforts.

Saturday afternoon I chilled out read the paper and had a nice nap before and 50 min easy run along the coast line.

Sunday morning was another early start and ocean swim across the Mooloolaba course. My new found strength in swimming came back to bite me with coach Mark insisting I swim out and back across the course about 2.2km. Again it felt good although I was a little scared at the thought of sharks around so I stuck to the feet of Ray and Leigh like glue on the way across!!.

We then did a 2hr30 ride ( approx 75km) out towards Noosa. Another great way to spend a Sunday morning.

As my first month of IM training comes to a close, I am ready for next challenge of building my bike fitness. Bike has never been my strongest point however with four rides a week scheduled for the next month I am going to improve I am sure.  Whilst the thought of the whole IM program and race can be very overwhelming I have found it better to break it down on focus on short term goals. Everything will come together in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment