Me and my support team my hubby Brett

Me and my support team my hubby Brett
Belinda and Brett

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Brisbane Floods- 20 weeks to Cairns

2011 has not be a great start for a lot of people living in Queensland and now wider parts of Australia being impacting by severe flooding.  Thankfully we avoided the floods impacting Brisbane but it is difficult to go about ones life without being effected.

I felt fairly guilty about the fact that we had gotten off so lightly and so many had suffered so much.  It almost felt wrong to even be thinking about my triathlon training. However life goes on our communities, businesses etc need people to spend money to bring things back to life.

I spent the day last Sunday volunteering with the cleanup at Graceville. I seemed to fill endless skips of debris that people had cleared from their flood effected houses. The kindness and community spirit struck me though. We were all working towards a common goal  of getting things back into order. I was spoilt all day with the generous cooking and drinks that people were providing.

Monday the 17th of January marked the start of 20 week training plan for Challenge Cairns. The best way to describe the week was a lot of swimming. 6 sessions for the week ( a total of 13.5km!!) I feel excited and little bit daunted to be finally starting my official IM training program.

I braved the roads for a 2 hour ride on my own on Wednesday ( it seems the motorists hate cyclists more than ever at the moment judging by the number of people on their horns). With many of the bikeways out of action with the flooding its hard to find a safe ride to do during the week.

I finished the week today with a lovely run along the river with by tri buddy Shelly who is doing a 20km run at hell of the west next weekend.  We clocked up 13.5km in about 1hr20mins so a nice easy pace.

Next week will look much the same for me training wise except we are heading at Goondoowindi next weekend for the Hell of the West.  I am doing the 2km swim in a team ( mind you I now also have to run 3km back to transition as they have changed to swim to lagoon in the middle of town due to flooding in the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment